top of page

Canada as a Live-in Caregiver (Nanny)

Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision.

Moving to Canada as a nanny is very popular and people love working as nanny in Canada , get lot of experience . Canadian immigration is little bit complicated legal process , especially if you want to migrate using a work visa.

For a foreign worker who want to immigrate to Canada as a nanny, the government offers the chance to become a permanent resident after he or she has worked as a caregiver for two years. At this point of time he or she can include his or her family members.


  1. You must have completed the equivalent of Canadian high school education

  2. At least 6 months training in a class room setting (!live-in-caregiver-program/vo51f )or at least 1 year of full time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including 6 months with one employer) in the past 3 years.

  3. You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French at a level that allows you to function independently in a home setting. For example, you must be able to contact emergency services if required and to understand labels on medication.

  4. A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada.

  5. A written contract with your future employer, signed by you and the employer.

  6. Applicant will have to make an application for an initial live-in caregiver work permit at a visa office outside Canada.

How the whole process works:-

  1. Do live-in caregiver (Nanny) course in your home country.

  2. Start working as nanny in your home country.

  3. Clear some Language proficiency test (IELTS etc.)

  4. Start finding out employers in Canada, use job sites of Canada: (,,,,,,,,,, or you can use other sources.

  5. Employer interviews and hires you, employer will apply for LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment)

  6. Once the LMIA is approved and you have signed contract with your future employer, you can apply for work permit at a visa office outside Canada.

  7. Most foreign workers will be required to attend interviews with embassy officials before the visa is granted. This interview is done to ensure that the caregiver’s employment will have no adverse effects on the employment prospects of other caregivers or nannies in the country.

  8. Once a work permit is issued, you may be issued TRV upon arrival in Canada at port of entry, depending on your country of citizenship.

  9. The work permit is valid for two years, after which the foreign caregiver can apply for permanent immigration to Canada. At this stage you can include your kids and spouse (if any).

Frequently asked questions:-

1) Can I return to my home country for vacations, if I am working as Live-in Caregiver in Canada?

Answer: Yes, you can return to your home country for a vacation. The length of your vacation should be written in your employment contract. If you take a longer vacation than that, without written consent from your employer, you could lose your job in Canada.

2)Can I go on vacation while my application for permanent residence is being processed?

Answer: Taking a vacation outside of Canada should not affect your application for permanent residence. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you may not be allowed to come back into Canada. Each time you come back, you must meet all the rules for entering the country.

3)Can my spouse or common-law partner and dependent children come with me to Canada?

Answer: Your spouse or common-law partner and children can come with you to Canada or visit you in Canada, if they meet all the requirements for temporary residents to Canada.

4)Can a minor child go to school in Canada without a study permit?

Answer: Generally, minor children need to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada, if they want to go to study in Canada. However, a minor child can go to school without a study permit if: one parent (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; or one parent (biological or adoptive) is permitted to study or work in Canada; or neither parent is physically in Canada.

5)Can I apply for a work permit from inside Canada?

Answer: You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if: you, your spouse or parents have a valid study or work permit or you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job or you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

If you are already in Canada as a visitor, you may not apply within Canada. You must apply for a work permit at a Canadian visa office: responsible for the country where you live or responsible for the country you are a citizen of, or at a Canadian embassy or consulate in the United States of America.

You may be asked to go for an in-person interview at that office. If so, make sure you have all the documents you need to enter that country.

6)If your spouse wants to work in Canada

Answer: If your spouse or common-law partner wants to work while in Canada, they must apply for their own work permit. Normally, they must meet the same rules as you do. This includes their employer getting an LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada, if needed.

Your spouse or common-law partner can apply for an open work permit if you are:

  • approved to work in Canada for six months or longer, and

  • doing a job at Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification.

Your spouse’s permit will not be valid longer than yours.

To know about the eligibility and other options: please feel free to contact me at: or or call at: +1-778-865-3008


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page